If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We love clam chowder...we love corn chowder..so I thought I'd combine the two and add a crispy crunch on top. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 2 quarts
For the polenta croutons
- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium sauce pan combine the water and cornmeal and simmer for about ten minutes, stirring relatively constantly until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Let cool a bit and then spread evenly on a 10 x 13 inch baking sheet with sides. Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving the chowder, cut the polenta into 3 inch rounds and bake for 30 minutes at 425F or until they crisp up on a parchment lined baking sheet.
For the chowder
- 4 ears corn, kernels cut off and cobs reserved
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons plus 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups diced potatoes (3/4 inch dice)
- Four 6.5 ounce cans chopped clams, juice reserved ( or if you have fresh clams, about 1 1/2 cups chopped ,likker reserved)
- 4 tablespoons yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- Polenta croutons
- Sliced green onion for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan simmer the corn cobs in about 8 cups of water for about 45 minutes. Discard the cobs and strain the liquid and reserve.
- In a soup pot cook the bacon in 2 tablespoons butter until crisp. Remove the bacon bits and reserve for garnishing the chowder.
- Saute the onion in the rendered bacon fat until soft.
- Reserving one cup of the corn kernels, add the rest of the kernels to the pot with 3 cups of the corn broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture to break up the corn kernels a bit, but not to a smooth consistency.
- Add the potatoes and the juice from the canned clams (or the clam likker if using fresh) and simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Whisk in the corn meal, a tablespoon at a time while the chowder is on the heat and then whisk in the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter. The chowder should thicken nicely.
- Stir in the clam meat, the reserved one cup of corn kernel and the half and half. Heat but don't boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chowder in bowls, each topped with a polenta crouton, sliced green onion and a few bacon bits.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.