If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bourboned cherries and maple are a pretty great combo. I use the Cook's Illustrated rice pudding technique of cooking the rice in water first and then adding milk. - VanessaS
Food52 Review: This delicious pudding is simple to prepare, somewhat virtuous (a result of the nutty and fragrant brown rice) and a wonderful choice for breakfast or a weeknight dessert. VanessaS has you cook the rice in water first before letting it simmer away in a bath of milk, maple syrup, and the barest hint of cloves. The tart dried cherries, infused with bourbon, gently balance the pudding’s sweet and creamy flavors. This comforting dish is very nice at room temperature, but we loved it warm too. To cut the sweetness, I added a few teaspoons of bourbon to the pan during the last minute of cooking and served this pudding with a dollop of crème fraiche. - cookinginvictoria
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- Combine the cherries and bourbon in a small bowl and microwave for a minute and thirty seconds. Let the bowl sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Combine the rice and water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Simmer until the water is mostly absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add the milk, maple syrup, and clove and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer until mixture is very thick, about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how strong your simmer is. Stir every few minutes, and stir more frequently in the last 15 minutes as the mixture thickens to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Mix in the cherries and any accumulated liquid and let cool. Either serve at room temperature, or refrigerate and serve cold.
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.