If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Indisputably the most popular Chinese-American dish around these parts, Almond Boneless Chicken is actually just fried chicken with a soy based gravy. But it's comforting and so good that i had to learn to make it myself. I think this recipe is the best I've ever had! —inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6
For the gravy
- 2 teaspoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with about 5 tablespoons water to make a slurry
- 2 to 3 ounces of sliced almonds
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil and gently saute the garlic for a minute or so until it becomes fragrant. Add the oyster and soy sauces, along with the chicken broth and water chestnuts.
- Bring the mixture up to the boil. Crush all but about 2 tablespoons of the sliced almonds.(you'll use those for garnish) and add the crushed ones to the pan. Stir in the slurry and whisk to thicken. Turn off the heat and set aside.
For the chicken and putting it all together
- 4 6 to 8 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 8 to 10 ounces club soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Vegetable or peanut oil for pan frying
- A handful of snow or sugar snap peas
- The gravy
- The reserved sliced almonds
- Shredded lettuce and hot cooked rice for serving
- Whisk together the 2 flours, salt and pepper. Whisk the beaten egg with a few ounces of the club soda and then whisk that into the flour mixture, adding more club soda as needed to make a relatively thin batter.
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise in half or thirds, depending on their size. Heat the oil in a large skillet, dip each piece of chicken into the batter and fry for about three minutes on each side until lightly golden. Place the pieces of chicken on a baking sheet and bake in a 400F oven for about 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, re heat the gravy to boiling and stir in the snow or sugar snap peas.
- Plate each serving by placing a scoopful of hot rice down and then some shredded lettuce over. Place 2 or 3 pieces of the chicken on top followed by the gravy and garnished with a few sliced almonds. Pass more soy sauce if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.