Author Notes: The unexpected marriage of pumpkin and spinach is a result of a massive cleaning out of my fridge. It's perfect for a cold winter night! You could easily substitute sweet potato or any winter squash for the pumpkin. - hadleyinparis
Makes 1 9" tart
- 1 store-bought or homemade pie crust
- 2/3 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup pumpkin, steamed and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9" pie plate and line with dough. Flute the edges, or press down along the edge with the tines of a fork. Poke the bottom of the crust in several places with the fork.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs, cream, milk, mustard, cayenne and salt/pepper.
- Place the cheddar, spinach and pumpkin on the bottom of the pie plate, making sure each ingredient is well distributed.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the center is firm. (It may rise quite a bit while baking; that's okay, it will fall as it cools). Serve warm or at room temperature. This makes great leftovers--it's even better the second day!