Author Notes: I came up with this salad on a snowy sunday, when I was craving a healthy, seasonal and heartwarming dish. It's a crunchy, sweet and earthy salad, the combination of red beet and goat cheese is a winner anyways, and the warm pumpkin creates a nice sweet counterpoint. Apples and walnuts add the crunch. - Yoolie
For the dressing
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated onion
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 1 bag baby leaf spinach
- 1/2 small pumpkin, hokkaido or alike
- 1 apple
- 3 precooked red beets
- 1 thik slice of creamy goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 handfuls walnuts
- Wash the pumpkin, remove seeds and cut into bite-sized cubes. Steam or cook in little water until tender (about 10 minutes). Put the goat cheese on an oven-proof dish, drizzle the honey over it and pop it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 300°F.
- In the meantime, wisk together the dressing. Wash and dry the spinach leafs (I don't care to stem them, but do if you like!), core and cut the apple in cubes. Quarter the beets and slice them thinly. Arrange spinach on two plates. Take the warm pumpkin pieces, apples and beets and divide equally over the spinach. Drizzle the dressing on top. Take the goat cheese out of the oven when it turnes soft and the honey begins to caramelize. Divide on the two plates. Crumble a handful of walnuts over each salad.
- Enjoy with a peace of ciabatta on the side!