If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I call casseroles like this "all in one sides" because they have everything you need to complete your meal. Add some grilled chicken or fish to your plate and you're a happy camper. This one combines fresh fennel, orzo, grape tomatoes and olives for a Mediterranean slant. - inpatskitchen
Makes 4 to 6 side servings
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces (save the fronds!)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small to medium onion, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, halved
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups dry orzo
- Chicken or vegetable broth for cooking the orzo
- 1/4 cup minced fennel fronds
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan or Kashkaval cheese
- Additional extra virgin olive oil for drizzling over the about to be baked casserole
- Toss the fennel, tomatoes, onions, olives and garlic in the 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the salt, pepper, oregano, basil and fennel powder and toss again. Place the mixture in an even layer of a 9x13 inch baking dish and roast for 20 to 25 minutes at 425F until you see the fennel just browning a bit and the tomatoes softening. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, cook the orzo in the chicken or vegetable broth per package instructions. Drain, reserving about a cup of the broth.
- Combine the orzo and roasted vegetables. At this point you may want to add some of the reserved broth. You want the mixture loose but not "watery". Stir in the fennel fronds and pour the mix into a smallish baking dish. (I used a 10 inch round)
- Combine the cheese and panko and sprinkle this over the casserole. Drizzle the top with a little of the extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake at 400F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cheese and panko brown a bit. Serve nice and warm!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
Freeze It Right There
Meet your herby, stir-fry savior.
The stir-fry savior.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
You won't be board with this game.