If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from Gluten-Free Girl Every Day by Shauna James Ahern and Daniel Ahern. —Amanda Hesser
Sweet Rice Salad
- 2 cups sticky rice
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked, shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup Miso-Maple-Ginger Dressing (Recipe Follows)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons umeboshi plum vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown rice miso
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- Making the dressing: Add vinegars, maple syrup, miso, shallot, and ginger in a blender. Turn on the blender and mix until frothy. Add the sesame seeds and salt and blend for one minute more.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and sesame oil. With the blender running, slowly pour in the combined oils. Turn off the blender and taste the dressing. Do you want a little more acid? Add some more vinegar. A bit smoother taste? Try some more sesame oil.
- Soaking the rice: Rinse the rice in a colander, moving your hand through the rice with the water running. Drain the water completely. Repeat this three times. In a bowl, soak the rice in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- Roasting the salty seeds: Set a large skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Roast, moving the pan around to prevent burning, for 3 minutes. Add the sesame and chia seeds. Roast in the same manner for 2 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds. Roast in the pan, shaking it, for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the salt, toss the seeds together, and set aside.
- Cooking the Rice: Drain the rice and put the rice in a microwave-safe bowl. Add enough water to be on the same level with the rice (usually about 1 1/2 cups). Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, then stop, and stir in the rice. Cook the rice in 2-minute increments until it is soft and fluffy.
- If you don't have a microwave, then you can steam the rice. Fill a large pot with hot water, leaving 3 inches of space before the top of the pot. Put a bamboo steamer, or the metal insert that comes with pasta pots, into the pot. Put the rice in the steamer. Cover with a lid. Steam until the rice is soft and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Heating the Edamame: Heat the edamame to piping hot by either putting it in the microwave, or plopping it in a pot of boiling hot water for a couple of minutes and then draining.
- To serve, combine some of the sticky rice and edamame. Toss with the dressing. Top with the salty seeds.
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.