If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a simple and flavorful recipe which is equally good as a side to a steak dinner, a light entry or when made with “Campari” or “Pearl” tomatoes, is perfect finger food. I made them and took to a dinner party with lots of other food, but not one of these was left in about 15 minutes. - Kukla
Makes 8 as a side dish or 16 hors d'oeuvres
- • 8 medium firm tomatoes or 16 “Campari” or “Pearl” tomatoes
- • 1 pound fresh mushrooms (I used Crimini), a combination of two or three would be even better, cleaned and thinly sliced
- • 5- 6 scallions, white part, thinly sliced, green tops reserved for garnish
- • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- • 1 cup (8oz) sour cream
- • 4 teaspoons all purpose flour
- • 1/2 cup Roquefort cheese, at room temperature
- • 2 tablespoons dry Sherry whine
- • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a shallow pan large enough to hold all the tomatoes.
- Slice off tops of tomatoes; using a teaspoon, hollow out and turn them upside down to drain on paper towels. Reserve some of the tomato flash (about 1/2 to 2/3 cups) and keep it in a strainer over a bowl.
- Sauté mushrooms and the white part of the scallions in butter in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until tender and golden brown; add garlic and cook stirring for a little longer. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream, flour, cheese and Sherry in a saucepan and cook constantly stirring over low heat until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Add the mushroom – scallion and garlic mixture; then add the reserved tomato flash, salt, pepper and herbs. Stir until well combined.
- Stuff tomatoes, arrange them in the prepared pan and bake for about 15 minutes until tomatoes are just tender, but still hold their shape. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnish with reserved green tops of the scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.