If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up in a Greek restaurant I’ve met my fair share of gyros. I love roasting or grilling portabello mushrooms, I use them all time to replace meat in dishes. I was totally craving gyros and I figured I would try my hand at a new version of this all time favorite. —Alexandra V. Jones
- 2-4 depending on size Portabello mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 2 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 pita bread wraps
- 1 Red pepper (you can grill this as well) or tomato
- 1 shallot, sliced thin.
- 1 cup lebni, or full fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, pulverized
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon worth of zest.
- 1 tablespoon Fresh dill
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, shredded.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chiffonade
- Combine all mushroom ingredients, and marinate up to overnight, but at least 30 minutes. Pre-heat grill.
- Combine lebni or yogurt, with garlic, mint, dill, and olive oil. Sprinkle salt over cucumber shreds, let sit 10 minutes then squeeze out the water and add to lebni, add lemon zest and stir, this can be made a day before. Refrigerate.
- Grill mushrooms over a medium high area of your grill, adjust coals as necessary or if using gas, set to medium high. Cook mushrooms about 5 minutes on each side, set aside.
- Warm pitas over grill till lightly toasty and malleable. Slice mushrooms thin, and add a quarter amount to each pita, add tomatoes or red peppers, shallot and lebni mixture (Tzatiki), fold and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.