Author Notes: This is the mashed potato recipe I always fall back on, whether I'm make them for dinner on a weeknight or for Thanksgiving...I can't remember where the idea to add cream cheese came from (Martha Stewart maybe?), but I really like what it brings to the table, so to speak. You can make these without the roasted garlic, but I love the subtle garlicky flavor it adds; I roast my whole heads of garlic in foil in a 400 degree F oven for about 40 minutes, then pop the cooked cloves out of their skins to use in this recipe. - WinnieAb
- 4-5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Cloves from 2 heads garlic, previously roasted
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup half and half or cream- optional
- Course sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- minced chives for garnish- optional
- Place potatoes in a large pot on the stove. Add water to cover.
- Bring water to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove from heat and pour off almost all of the water.
- Add the roasted garlic to the potatoes and using a potato masher, mash for 1-2 minutes. Add the butter, cream cheese, and optional cream and mash some more. I like my mashed potatoes to have some texture, but you can mash them as much as you like.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and garnish with the minced chives, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes