Author Notes: White asparagus has a nice mild sweetness that is enhanced by the black garlic. Black garlic is garlic that has been aged and fermented. It is soft and sweet but still has a garlicky flavor. - Caron Golden
For the vinaigrette
- 5 cloves black garlic
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
For the rest of the dish
- 1 pound white asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- To make vinaigrette, put all of the ingredients except the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Process the ingredients until the black garlic has been completely incorporated with the rest of the ingredients.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil, blending until the dressing has thickened.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Then set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Immerse the asparagus and blanch for 1 minute.
- Remove the asparagus from the hot water and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Dry the asparagus and arrange on a plate. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the asparagus. Then sprinkle the walnut pieces and fresh thyme leaves over the asparagus.