If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like a meal in a bowl. This just sounded hearty for a drizzly winter day. - nannydeb
Serves 4 entree size portions
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable, chicken or beef broth. I made mine with the mushroom stems and celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring barley and broth to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes or until tender. All of the water will not be absorbed.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add celery and cook 3 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook another 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or until tender. Set mushroom mixture aside until barley is done.
- Add mushroom mixture, fresh thyme, salt and pepper to barley.
- Serve with some good crusty bread. The flavors are even better the next day.
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!