If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple salad that combines brown and wild rice, dark leafy kale, bright red piquillo peppers, and a sweet-salty dressing to bring it all together. It’s super healthy, and it only gets better as it sits in the fridge. - TheThinChef
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale (or similar green)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped piquillo peppers (or regular roasted red peppers)
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cups cooked brown-and-wild rice mix (about 1 cup uncooked)
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add pepper flakes, and cook for 30 seconds. Add kale (be careful! it will splatter if it’s wet) and stir with tongs until it’s coated in the oil. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring, until kale is bright green, somewhat wilted, and browned in places, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer cooked kale to a large bowl. Add chopped peppers, and stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together miso, mirin, and vinegar until combined. Add rice to the bowl with kale and peppers, stirring very well to combine. Pour dressing over everything, and toss again until everything is coated. Taste, and add salt if you think it needs it. (But it likely won’t because miso is salty!)
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving…overnight is even better. Salad keeps, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 1 week.