If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I don't know if this is a side dish, salad or even a condiment but I do know I like it with grilled meats or as a pizza topping. When looking for green onions it is best to find the thinist ones possible so the whites soften before the ends burn. If you haven't had picholine olives they are French green olives that have, I think, a meaty with hints of chocolate flavor. Upon discovering these beauties they quickly became a favorite. Take note I have never seen them pitted so you will have to do that yourself. Easy enough just place the flat side of a chefs knife onto and olive and press with the palm of your hand. You will feel the olive give. Peel out the pit and you are good to go. - thirschfeld
- 1 to 2 bunches thin green onions, trimmed and rinsed
- 3/4 cup pitted picholine olives
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- While you are heating your grill to high place the onions on a sheet tray or plate. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over them an toss them to coat. Remember the more oil on them means more smoke from the grill so you just want to coat them not soak them. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the top then sprinkle with the pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Toss them again to spread the seasonings out.
- Grill them until the whites are soft and the tops go brown. You may want to have a pice of foil on hand so you can put it under the tops in case they start to burn befor the whites soften.
- When cooked remove them from the grill and toss them with the olives. Squeeze a little more lemon juice on and garnish with the thyme.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Lemon, Thyme and a Grill
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.