If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The zucchini souffle in this dish is stuffing only in terms of geography. I put this together as a way to showcase the beautiful shape of the scallop squashes that would call to me at the farmer's market. As an added benefit, the squash gives the dish bite but its main duty is to serve as eye candy. This can theoretically serve two as a side or as a light main with salad but I usually just eat the whole thing. —JsGirl
- 1 medium zucchini (thin)
- 1 scallop squash (not much wider than the palm of your hand
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, separated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel zucchini and remove seeds. Dice. Slice off the top of scallop squash and remove seeds. Peel and dice top and add to diced zucchini. Place squash and zucchini in a steamer basket and steam until tender.
- Rub hollowed scallop squash inside and out with olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Place squash on a cookie sheet and roast for ten minutes. After ten minutes, remove from oven and set aside.
- Place steamed zucchini into a bowl and use a stick blender to break it down to a pulp.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Remove one tablespoon and set aside. Add flour and stir briskly to form a roux. Slowly whisk in milk and allow to simmer until a thick cream sauce is formed. Remove from heat. Add zucchini pulp, parsley, garlic, onion, paprika, salt and melted butter to sauce and whisk until smooth.
- Whip egg white until peaks form. Gently fold into cream sauce. Pour cream sauce into hollowed squash and return to the oven for 30 minutes. Remove squash and garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and fresh parsley leaves. Pass extra balsamic vinegar and olive oil at the table.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
Grill Your Greens
The salad of summer
Grill your greens.
Churn with confidence.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.