If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spoon bread is a great side dish for anything Southern or grilled. This version is a nice presentation as individual portions. —nannydeb
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- dashes cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional if your corn is really sweet)
- 1 cup sweet corn, cut from 1 ear of corn
- 2 green onions, chopped (reserving a tiny bit for garnish)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut the tops off of the red bell peppers, discard the seeds and stems and reserve the tops for another use.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
- Add the salt, sugar and cayenne, reduce heat and simmer three minutes or until thickened.
- Add corn, green onions and cheddar cheese. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the baking powder until frothy.
- Temper the eggs by adding a bit of the corn mixture to the egg mixture. Then fold the egg mixture into the corn mixture.
- Place the red bell peppers into a baking dish and fill with the corn mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Top with green onion garnish and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.