Author Notes: Spoon bread is a great side dish for anything Southern or grilled. This version is a nice presentation as individual portions. - nannydeb
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- dashes cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional if your corn is really sweet)
- 1 cup sweet corn, cut from 1 ear of corn
- 2 green onions, chopped (reserving a tiny bit for garnish)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cut the tops off of the red bell peppers, discard the seeds and stems and reserve the tops for another use.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
- Add the salt, sugar and cayenne, reduce heat and simmer three minutes or until thickened.
- Add corn, green onions and cheddar cheese. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the baking powder until frothy.
- Temper the eggs by adding a bit of the corn mixture to the egg mixture. Then fold the egg mixture into the corn mixture.
- Place the red bell peppers into a baking dish and fill with the corn mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Top with green onion garnish and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe