If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As much as I love everything about cooking Thanksgiving dinner I stress about one thing....the gravy! A vegetarian friend came to the rescue offering up her vegetarian gravy. Through the years it has been tinkered with and has become my "go to" recipe any time I need the perfect gravy for both vegetarians and carnivores. It can be used on mashed potatoes, vegetables, stuffing and even turkey! You can use any type of dried mushroom. I have used shitake mushrooms but mixed dried mushrooms will provide more interesting flavors. To make a vegan version substitute olive oil for the butter and additional broth for the cream. - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
Food52 Review: Sticksnscones' mushroom gravy solves nearly every Thanksgiving dilemma there is. It's vegetarian-friendly, requires no pan drippings (ideal for when you're deep-frying your bird or when brining has rendered the drippings too salty), and comes together in no time, yet hides deceptively deep layers of flavor -- umami-rich dried mushrooms fortify the stock, and sauteed shallots, soy sauce, fresh thyme and sherry round out the rich but balanced sauce that we'd like to pretend is actually a soup. Heads up: One time we tested it, we accidentally used just 2 tablespoons of flour and ended up really liking that too -- it was less creamy and voluptuous, more free-flowing with a concentrated hit of mushroom flavor and color. - A&M - The Editors
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms(shitake or mixed)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil. In a small bowl pour stock over mushrooms. Let soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from bowl, setting the stock aside for later. Mince or thinly slice the mushrooms.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Add the minced shallot and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Add the flour to the butter/shallot mixture stirring constantly. Cook for a 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved vegetable stock(leaving mushroom sediment out), stirring well to incorporate after each addition. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Add the reserved mushrooms, soy sauce, cream, sherry & thyme to the gravy. Cook for a few more minutes until heated through and thickened to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Pour over anything on your plate!
- Your Best Gravy Contest Winner!
Recipe of the Day
When life hands you lemons, make sparkling rhubarb lemonade.
Recipe of the Day
Eat your beans.
Enter your best mash-up recipe.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.