If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love a super-satisfying salad, and this one has all the right elements: Crispness from the spinach, richness from the bacon, sweetness from the figs, and earthiness from the mushrooms. I made it again and added a few slices of grilled queso blanco, which made a deliciously creamy addition. —erinmcdowell
- 3 strips bacon
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- black pepper, as needed
- 1 large fig, cut into thirds (or 2 small figs, quartered)
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh roughly chopped herbs (I used rosemary and thyme)
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 thin slices queso blanco (optional)
- Coat the bacon lightly with brown sugar, then season with pepper. Wrap the bacon slices around the figs. Place onto a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, toss the mushrooms with olive oil, herbs, salt, and pepper to coat. Transfer to the other end of the baking sheet. Place the sheet into a 350 degree oven and roast until the bacon is crisp and the mushrooms are tender.
- In a small bowl, toss the spinach with olive oil and vinegar. (If using, lightly brush the queso blanco with olive oil. Grill in a hot grill pan (or saute pan) until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.)
- Add the warm mushrooms to the spinach and toss to combine. Top with the bacon wrapped figs (and grilled queso blanco), and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fig Recipe