If you are looking for an excuse to have breakfast for dinner, Huevos Motuleños is that excuse. Aargersi's version of huevos motuleños honors tradition—her recipe includes the conventional egg on a tortilla with beans, cheese, and salsa—but introduces avocado in two ways. Between the avocado pico and the avocado-buttermilk crema, it almost outshines the egg (almost).
That avocado swoops in to cool the dish's heat: Refried beans are spiked with smoky, spicy chiles en adobo. And buried under the layers of avocado and beans and fried egg, you reach the the crispy fried tortilla holding it all up. So—breakfast for dinner tonight, right?
- 1 ear corn
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño (depending on your love of heat)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 large (or two small) Hass avocados
- 1 large lime
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup refried beans (I use canned for this)
- 1 or 2 chiles en adobo, minced (again, depending on your love of spice and heat)
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 large eggs (to be honest, I buy the extra-large eggs at the farmer's market—giant yolks! Yum!)
- 1 tablespoon Oil for frying
- 1 pinch Salt and freshly ground black pepper
What's on your standard breakfast-for-dinner menu? Give us the rundown in the comments.