With Genius Recipes correspondent Kristen off for a few months trying to raise a genius newborn, we’re revisiting the column’s Greatest Hits with brand-new videos—and hearing from a few special surprise guests. Wish her luck! (And keep sending those tips.)
Imagine you’re hosting a dinner party tonight—one you’ve been planning for weeks. You bought all the groceries ahead of time and meal-prepped like a champ. The guest list is confirmed (and not one person cancelled last minute!); the showstopping main is in the oven; the wine is chilling; a playlist of soothing folk indie is gently creating a mood in the background. Everything is low stress, under control, dare we say...perfect?
Until you survey the table you've lovingly set, and realize you’ve forgotten something: an all-important appetizer to start off the night, to satisfy your guests until it’s time to seat everyone for dinner. You throw open your fridge and pantry in a panic, finding only a box of crackers (somehow unopened!), some nubbins of cheese, and half a bottle of white wine.
Great news for you: These ingredients can become a fine start to your meal—a very Genius one, in fact—and will set you back almost no time and effort. Below, you'll find 11 more very simple, very smart secret weapons for all your entertaining needs (or for an uber-quick snacks-for-dinner sitch tonight).
1. Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi's Basic Hummus
2. Roberto Santibañez' Guacamole with Tequila & Apples
3. Alex Raij's Radishes with Vanilla Butter & Salt, 2 Ways
4. Patricia Wells' Fake Frites
5. Heidi Swanson's Parmesan Cheese Spread
6. Jennie Cook's Zucchini Butter
7. The Elegant Hors d'Oeuvre's Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts
8. Ignacio Mattos’ Grilled Favas
9. Virginia Willis' Deviled Eggs
10. Renee Erickson's Sautéed Dates
11. José Pizarro's Salt-Crusted Potatoes with Cilantro Mojo
The Genius Desserts cookbook is here! With more than 100 of the most beloved and talked-about desserts of our time (and the hidden gems soon to join their ranks) this book will make you a local legend, and a smarter baker to boot.Order Now