Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Looking for good braised short rib recipes that don't use any alcohol

Hi -- My go-to short rib recipes (and most of my braising recipes in general) all call for alcohol -- either beer or wine. For a dinner party this weekend, I'm looking for a good recipe that doesn't call for any alcohol -- not even a small amount! Any recommendations? I'm wondering if I could take some of the recipes from the site and adapt them to omit the alcohol? What's the best substitute for beer or red wine to still achieve depth of flavor? Thanks for your help!

asked by EmilyC almost 5 years ago
Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

I've never used it to braise, but how about vinegar?

Wholefoods user icon

I make a great short rib recipe that is from "Canadian Living " magazine site. If you google Canadian Living recipes.. and put in Short ribs it is Lee Leuschners( SP) recipe..People always ask for the recipe. If you cannot find it let me know. Barb. I think it is the 3rd entry under short ribs.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Emily, Rick Bayless has a delicious short rib recipe that contains no alcohol -- the ingredients are poblano chiles, onion, garlic, tomatoes, herbs, and short ribs, of course. It is in his cookbook Mexico: One Plate at a Time. I'm not seeing the reicpe online, but if you are interested in seeing this recipe, feel free to DM me and I will paraphrase the recipe for you.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I've seen many recipes for coffee braised short ribs on the internet...haven't tried any yet but many sound very good!

9fe756c0 679c 4968 9ab5 be8634a0e68d  pinch dash smidgon

Any short rib recipe you like is good. Just substitute another liquid of your choice for the alcohol in the recipe and drive on. The list of possibilities is varied as your imagination.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

this is going to sound kind of crazy, and I've never cooked with it myself, but I have seen many brisket recipes with Coke or Dr. Pepper...