🔕 🔔

Can you braise ribeye steaks?

I'd love to use this recipe. https://food52.com/recipes... It seems boeuf bourguignon-esque with a few twists. Normally my go to for braising is a super marbles chuck roast. However, I only have two huge ribeye steaks at my disposal. Can they be braised? Thank soooooo much!

asked by Diari over 1 year ago

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

Obviously you can but I am not sure you want to. You may get better answers from people with better knowledge of the cuts of beef, but braising is usually for tough cuts, and the rib eyes are already tender. I think of rib eyes to go on the grill and am afraid the texture would be seriously degraded by braising.

On the other hand if that is what you have and you want to try it - you'll find out. There is no danger just maybe not the optimum use for that cut. Let us know what you do.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Personally, I think that would be a big mistake. Braising is for tougher cuts of meat. A ribeye -- my favorite steak -- should be cooked hot and quick, seared in a hot skillet, you know the drill, I'm sure. No liquids!

4223dba4 2d4f 40f7 9f71 f8b6c57faca4  image

Thanks for y'all's (too country?) answers! I normally make my ribeyes in a more traditionally manner. These are sooooo nice too, and I would hate to ruin them :/

I think you've answered your own question. You WOULD be ruining your rib eyes if you braise them.

I'm going to respectfully but firmly disagree with the folks who have stated that you "can't," or, alternatively, don't want to, braise a ribeye. I'll relate my experience -- I had a couple of frozen, grass-fed ribeye steaks from Whole Foods (1-lb. each) that had been sitting in the freezer for a few months and that I wanted to get rid of. Very nice steaks, roughly 1.5 inches in thickness. I also happened to be making my monthly braise of boneless & skinless chicken thighs and decided to add the ribeyes to the pot, as an experiment, as much as anything else.

I prepared my standard preparation for the braise -- sauteed shiitake, hen of the woods mushrooms, white button mushrooms, pearl onions, leek (white part), small cambray onions, garlic cloves and sliced carrots, and added these ingredients to my 8-quart All-Clad rondeau, along with 8 bay leaves, herbs de Provence, additional oregano and sage, garlic and onion powder, and rosemary and thyme sprigs.

To the pot, I added one bottle of Trader Joe's "Three-Buck Chuck" Merlot and one 33-ounce box of low-sodium vegetable stock (I've also used combined mixtures of wine, beer and alcoholic apple and pear cider, with great results).

I trimmed the chicken thighs and the two ribeyes of excess fat, seasoned them and browned them on both sides in olive oil in a saute pan, then added them to the rondeau, covered the rondeau and placed it in the oven to braise at 300 degrees fahrenheit, for three hours. The ribeye came out fork-tender and delicious, as good as any brisket that I've braised, similarly.

So, to say that one "can't" braise ribeyes, or, alternatively, that the end result will somehow be unpalatable or unappetizing as compared to grilled ribeyes, is simply factually untrue.

I'll also add that I find it pretty amusing that folks are opining on the alleged improprieties of braising ribeyes, without actually having attempted the feat. Until you've actually tried it, what you're all offering is mere baseless speculation and conjecture.

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio

You can braise any meat but why the hell would you braise an expensive Ribeye? Stick to the tough cuts for the stew pot and slap that ribeye in a cast iron pan