Good spaghetti squash recipes? I'm about to bake my first one!

• Posted by: Kayb
  • November 8, 2010

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 8, 2010

This one is seriously good. If you have all the ingredients on hand its a real winner.

http://www.thekitchn.com...

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen November 9, 2010

I like to mix it with some olive oil, parmiggiano and a little sea salt, though eicota, sage and pine nuts sounds pretty good!

casa-giardino
casa-giardino November 9, 2010

I did not post this dish yet but I will soon.
Simply and delicious. I used rigatoni rather than spagetti.

1 yellow zucchini
1 green zucchini
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3 or 4 tomatoes if available or 1 can chopped tomatoes
Bunch basil leaves
Bunch celery leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 lb. rigatoni or pasta of choice

Saute' onion in oil, add chopped tomatoes, basil and celery leaves, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sliced zucchini and simmer until tender.
Cook pasta, drain, add sauce over pasta. Shave some parmiggiano reggiano.
http://www.casa-giardino.blogspot.com

pierino November 9, 2010

Well intentioned casa-giardino, and no doubt delicious but the original question referred to the actual vegetable "spaghetti squash" and not "spaghetti with squash." For those unfamiliar with this squash, when you roast it and scoop out the flesh it separates into spaghetti-like strands. In fact I may try the one suggested by Mr V because I have company coming tonight and I have a big old spaghetti squash and an abundance of sage.

mklug
mklug November 9, 2010

I was totally about to post the same question! There were these adorable little spaghetti squash at the grocery--I had to have one, but then figured out I knew not what to do with it.
But I agree, if we ever have non-icky looking zucchini at the store, casa-giardino's dish looks yummy...

pierino November 9, 2010

Back to Mr V's link. I read through the recipe, and I'm still skeptical of the first step which is to pierce the squash all over and roast it WHOLE. I kind of get the concept (if you pierce really deeply, like all the way to the seed package, maybe you get an internal steaming action. But just poking the skin won't do that). So, I may go off the reservation and split and seed it first. But the entire preparation sounds worth trying.

casa-giardino
casa-giardino November 9, 2010

Pierino - You're right. I should have read the posting more carefully. But what do you expect from an old, Italian immigrant? Sorry.

mklug
mklug November 9, 2010

I think I've always seen it cut in half and roasted--face up or face down I couldn't say, but that's what I plan on (maybe, since there are 2 halfs, I'll start with one in each direction?)

linzarella
linzarella November 9, 2010

the first time i cooked spaghetti squash, I roasted it in two halves, let it cool a bit, scraped out the strands with a fork, and made a mint-almond pesto to toss it with. it was delicious, but a word of warning if you've never eaten it before: it has a LOT of fiber. go easy on it.

Bevi
Bevi November 9, 2010

From the Pioneer Woman:

Recipe: Spaghetti Squash with Maple Syrup and Shallots
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 1 Hour | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 8

Ingredients
2 whole Medium Spaghetti Squash
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 whole Shallots, Finely Minced
¼ cups Maple Syrup
Dash Of Salt
Dash Of Nutmeg
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Pierce spaghetti squash a few times with a sharp knife. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.
Cut squash in half. Scoop out and discard seeds and slimy pulp. Scrap out the rest of the squash with a fork. Place in a bowl. Keep warm.
In a large skillet, melt butter. Cook shallots over medium heat for 2 minutes or until soft. Reduce heat and add maple syrup. Cook for a minute, then remove from heat. Stir in salt.
Pour mixture over squash. Sprinkle on nutmeg and mix together gently. Serve warm.

jenmmcd
jenmmcd November 10, 2010

I was skeptical about the roasting whole technique too, but tried it after a recipe on this site called for it. Now, that's the only way I do it. Works great! Just throw that thing in the oven and let it go. Helps to do it one night so you can cook with it the next night. Give it a try.

dancing kitchen
dancing kitchen November 11, 2010

It can be cooked in a microwave or a slow cooker. The slow cooker is my method of choice and I love to treat it like spagetti. It's good with a tomato ragu or a nice alfredo...but my favorite is a red coconut curry.