🔕 🔔

Last year my caramels stuck to the wrappers - any idea why? Is it because they were salted?

asked by dottieinthekitchen almost 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

What do you use for wrappers? I use waxed paper, and salt a lot of my caramels, and don't have trouble with sticking. What caramel recipe are you using & to what stage to you cook the caramel mixture?

It's a pretty standard recipe, cooked to firm ball stage (248*). I can't remember if I had this problem with caramels that I didn't salt. I'm making different flavors of caramels and would love to be able to use the wrappers rather than cutting squares of waxed paper.

I know what you mean about cutting the waxed paper! I've not used the pre-cut wrappers, but suspect they are the issue, not the salt.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

I cut up parchment paper for my caramels. No sticking problem.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I think the way you store the caramels after you wrap them is also important. A slightly higher than room temperature as well as moisture levels can affect their stickiness on the outside.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Use parchment baking paper and don't wrap until candies are room temp. A pinch of coarse sea salt adds to the taste. Just a pinch.

I cut wax paper and have had no problem with salting. However, It was been warmer and wetter longer here this year, and I have to say many of my treats have suffered in various ways, so if it is humid where you are that could be too.