A question about a recipe: Turkey Pho

F8554995 b6c2 4c13 8754 0fd185407a81  2016 0817 zwilling staub food52 essential french oven blue email linda xiao 288

What would you do, if anything, to adapt this to use shrimp instead of turkey (and fish stock instead of turkey stock)? Would you change any of the other ingredients? Thanks so much.

asked almost 7 years ago

The Spiced Life

That particular recipe is, as the author notes, austere--so if that sounds good to you, I would leave it as is. What I mean is, if you were starting with a heartier beef pho I might suggest changing more, but that recipe is pretty flexible I would think. You could, now that I think about it, get sushi quality shellfish and place it raw in the bowl before ladling the broth over it, much as the Vietnamese would do with thin slices of raw sirloin in beef pho. But I only recommend that if you have stellar shrimp (or scallops would work nicely too, thinly sliced).

I'd make shrimp stock with the shells rather than use chicken or turkey stock.

WinnieAb

I wouldn't change anything, AJ....I think it will work just fine as is.

Summer of Eggplant

First of all ,we had this the other night, I used leftover chicken, it was great. However, your guest is pescatarian right? I would go shrimp, fish or veggie. If you go veggie you may want to amp up the spices.

lorigoldsby

Did you consider adding lemongrass? I think it would compliment the seafood. Definitely second the thinly sliced scallops and shrimp stock.