🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Turkey Pho

F8554995 b6c2 4c13 8754 0fd185407a81  2016 0817 zwilling staub food52 essential french oven blue email linda xiao 288

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Turkey Pho" from WinnieAb. It says:

"Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes, skimming the surface frequently."

I'm thinking of adapting this to use with a crock-pot and with chicken instead of turkey.

My idea was to place the chicken stock, fish sauce, green onions, ginger, spices, and (for my purposes) two bone in chicken breasts in the crock-pot on low for an afternoon.

When the chicken is falling off the bone, remove it to shred and strain the remain soup. From there on I suppose the recipe could operate as stated.

Any thoughts? I'm just concerned with the ginger and spices in the stock for so long that maybe it would become too strong.

Thanks!

asked by Patrickodowd over 6 years ago

Ab57b4b7 946e 4ad2 8dc8 7ec7b6ffd9d1  winnie100

I really don't know about using a crocpot! Honestly the recipe is pretty quick to make...not worried about the spices so much, but don't want the chicken to overcook. Let me know how you decide to make it and how it comes out!

i know this is a long time ago and you probably already found out from making it yourself, but crockpot with chicken is fine, except you'd want to add fish sauce at the very end because the more you cook fish sauce the more sour your broth becomes (a subtle sour taste, hard to describe). If anything, the longer you cook, the LESS powerful the spices become, so no worries on that front. I found American chicken to be tasteless, so we usually cook the chicken in chicken broth until the meat cooks through and shred it, then toss it back to the pot to cook the bones. My mom even steams the chicken separately with stock and rice wine, and make the broth with yet another chicken. Hope it helps!