🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Turkey Pho

F8554995 b6c2 4c13 8754 0fd185407a81  2016 0817 zwilling staub food52 essential french oven blue email linda xiao 288

What should I serve for dessert? I'm serving this Pho, with shrimp instead of turkey, for dinner when we have a house guest in a few weeks. The soup will be a one-bowl dinner, after appetizers (yet to be determined . . . FYI, she's a pescatarian). Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked almost 6 years ago

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

I really like citrus and lighter flavors with shrimp and seafood. Since you're going for a one bowl dinner, I'm going to guess you want a pretty straightforward dessert to go with it? Are you looking for something light or more decadent?

Either way, I think this clementine pound cake looks delicious. http://www.food52.com/recipes... You could serve it as is, or toast it and serve it with a compote or whipped cream or whatever for more goodness.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Coconut rice pudding, mango ice cream, a flan or creme brulee accented with tea or star anise? We have made these spring rolls with bananas and chocolate http://www.epicurious.com... and they are always a massive hit; we also serve them with ice cream. As for an appetizer, spring rolls are always popular unless you are afraid of being rice noodle redundant. While they are Japanese and not Vietnamese Onigiri are a lot of fun for an appetizer and you could have all sorts of fillings.

Oh coconut rice pudding sounds heavenly!

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Along the same lines, I love this mango/lime curd tart from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart...

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Let us know what you pick and how your shrimp pho turn out! I would pick a coconut gelato with a tuile cookie

Granted it's Thai (not sure how "matching" you want to keep it) but I would serve a sticky black rice coconut pudding. I always serve it with bowls of sugar and salt to self serve--because one of the big issues with Asian desserts is that many Americans find them too sweet. When I started salting the Thai desserts I got in Thailand it was a revelation!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I would serve something light and citrus-y--Lazy Mary's lemon tart comes to mind. (And what a good idea, btw, making a shrimp pho. I love that recipe!)

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

Merrill's lime ice cream with some cookies.

I'd probably go with my "famous" Coconut Pound Cake, because it's so easy to make and everyone always loves it. If you want the recipe, message me and I can post it.

Critus also came to my mind. I'd do Tangerine Mousse (I used to do one from either Chez Panisse Menu or Chez Panisse Desserts, can't remember. But it has raw egg whites so you might want to use pasturized ones. That and little butter cookies or Russian teacakes type cookie.