In a large recipe for dinner rolls that I want to halve, what should I do about "three eggs"? ;o)

I'm inclined to use two eggs, so by how much should I reduce the liquid in the recipe? Thanks so much everyone. ;o)

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen December 13, 2011

You could beat the three eggs together and just measure half...and then scramble the remaining for breakfast or lunch!

hardlikearmour December 13, 2011

A large egg is about 50 grams (not including the shell) or 3 T plus 1/2 t. I would also consider doing 1 egg plus 1 yolk, which is a bit less than half of 3 whole eggs, but probably close enough.

MaryMaryCulinary
MaryMaryCulinary December 13, 2011

I also tend to use 1 egg and 1 yolk, but you could also beat the egg, use half in the rolls then the other half to glaze them.

susan g December 13, 2011

Large eggs usually run 1/4 cup in volume. I would put 2 eggs in a measuring cup, then add the liquid in the recipe to total the liquid amount + the 3 oz. liquid that 1 1/2 eggs would come to.

Sam1148 December 13, 2011

It's pretty difficult to scale eggs in recipes. You could try a 'egg beater' type sub. Which is okay for baking..and could scale well. Baking has SO Many variables..from quality of flour, humidity, softness of the flour..etc..etc.

It's very hard to quantify....you have to go by feel, and experience there.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ December 14, 2011

I "halve" eggs (either odd numbers or one single egg) all the time, since I'm usually cooking for just me. Even with baking, I just eyeball the amount after I've lightly beaten the egg(s) in a custard cup to combine them. So far, so good, I haven't had anything fail because it was too eggy. That includes breads, rolls, cakes and cookies. Lucky for me, I have 2 very willing fuzzy canine sous chefs who are more than happy to relieve me of excess egg....

Just pour slowly so that the flow doesn't get away from you.