🔕 🔔

Beef tenderloin trimming and cooking

We are having beef tenderloin (and turkey) for our Christmas dinner. My mom says I should leave the fat on the tenderloin so it won't be dry. I was planning on trimming it off. I haven't trimmed a tenderloin before. So, fat on or fat off?
Also, any easy ideas for cooking?

asked by Louisa almost 6 years ago

What I like to do is trimming the meat for a nice shape and sear the meat before roast it. Then you just have to be careful not over cook the meat I like to take it out if the oven at 125 degrees rare to medium rare and moist

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You definitely want to remove any silverskin that might be present. I agree with Dante on the temp - pull it out of the oven at an internal temperature of 110-125º F (typically about 30-40 minutes at 400º F)- it's not a cut of meat you want to serve past medium-rare because it is so lean.

5590ce29 aa2e 417c 94ba 2fbc61134171  174060 100000008404888 3554258 n

Thanks for the advice. I will trim the silver skin, and I will do my best not to over-cook.
But I still want to know if I need some fat to keep the tenderloin moist.
The only other time I did a tenderloin the recipe said to put butter on top of the beef and then roast it at a really high temp, and the butter started smoking and the smoke detector went off. Lucky it was a warm day, because we had to open all the windows and doors.
So that's why I want to know if I can roast w/out the fat and still have it turn out delicious.

Butter has a really low smoke point, so your experience doesn't surprise me. I think you're fine to cut off most of the fat, as long as you keep the internal temperature low you should have a tender outcome.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Definetly cut the sinew and trim off any big pieces of fat. There will be some fat still there but that okay. Clean it up before cooking.