Beef tenderloin trimming and cooking

We are having beef tenderloin (and turkey) for our Christmas dinner. My mom says I should leave the fat on the tenderloin so it won't be dry. I was planning on trimming it off. I haven't trimmed a tenderloin before. So, fat on or fat off?
Also, any easy ideas for cooking?

asked by Louisa almost 7 years ago

Dante

What I like to do is trimming the meat for a nice shape and sear the meat before roast it. Then you just have to be careful not over cook the meat I like to take it out if the oven at 125 degrees rare to medium rare and moist

You definitely want to remove any silverskin that might be present. I agree with Dante on the temp - pull it out of the oven at an internal temperature of 110-125º F (typically about 30-40 minutes at 400º F)- it's not a cut of meat you want to serve past medium-rare because it is so lean.

Louisa

Thanks for the advice. I will trim the silver skin, and I will do my best not to over-cook.
But I still want to know if I need some fat to keep the tenderloin moist.
The only other time I did a tenderloin the recipe said to put butter on top of the beef and then roast it at a really high temp, and the butter started smoking and the smoke detector went off. Lucky it was a warm day, because we had to open all the windows and doors.
So that's why I want to know if I can roast w/out the fat and still have it turn out delicious.

Butter has a really low smoke point, so your experience doesn't surprise me. I think you're fine to cut off most of the fat, as long as you keep the internal temperature low you should have a tender outcome.

Definetly cut the sinew and trim off any big pieces of fat. There will be some fat still there but that okay. Clean it up before cooking.