🔕 🔔

What is a good substitute for condensed milk in a pumpkin pie for a lactose intolerant person?

asked by ESP almost 6 years ago

My husband is allergic to dairy and I use soymilk to substitute in my normal pumpkin pie recipe. Cream of coconut (the sweetened stuff) is a good direct substitute for condensed milk and would probably be the best choice.

I read around about best pumpkin pie recipes on Chow recently and most agreed that a REAL pumpkin pie, whatever that means, actually uses heavy cream.

Oops! I didn't finish my answer. That being said, I agree on about the coconut option for its richness. That will likely ensure you still have a rich tasting pie.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Apple butter adds richness without the dairy. I also have that problem!

Just read this - how timely! How much apple butter would you use for one pie - using 16oz of pumpkin? Thank you!