Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Looking for ideas for vegeterian dish for 2 Christmas guests. Need to make in advance. Tomorrow is last full day off before 12/25

I am making prime rib, roasted potatoes, vegetable bundles and popovers. I want to make something nice for the vegetarians, it is after all Christmas. In the past I have made them Spanikopita and Spinach and Goat Cheese stuffed portabello mushrooms.
If it could be made in advance and frozen I would be very happy as tomorrow is my last full day off before Christmas.

asked by Lucia from Madison almost 5 years ago
766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

How about pierogi stuffed with cabbage, cheese, and rosemary garlic white beans? You can freeze them unboiled, then boil them up directly out of the freezer. They take about 15minutes at that point.

27deb974 3b33 4f19 b966 dc79321a31b1  photo for web

That sounds delicious. Are Pierogi served with a sauce? Do you have the recipe? I have never made them before!

Sometimes I serve pierogi with a sauce, depending on the filling. A simple tomato sauce works, or I like a caramelized onion and Madeira reduction as well. More traditional is to serve them with sour cream, applesauce, and sauerkraut.

I don't exactly have a recipe I can type out for you, but the dough I use is the same as my gluten-free gnocchi dough. I discovered it works surprisingly well as pierogi dough. You roll it out, cut into circles about 3" diameter, stuff with your filling, then fold the circle over and press the edges with a fork. After boiling the pierogi about 5min (a little longer if boiling from frozen), fry on both sides in a buttered skillet, about 1-2min per side. This makes them a little crispy. Then you can dress with a sauce (if desired) and serve.

I make up my filling every time I make pierogi, so I can't write that out for you. I have done one with white beans that were cooked with garlic and rosemary, stuff with partially cooked shredded cabbage, and Parmesan or a soft goat cheese. I like lots of black pepper in this filling.

Here's my dough:
3.5 lbs russet potatoes (about 6), peeled, boiled, and mashed
(this will be about 3lbs cooked)
2 eggs
355g (2 cups) potato flour
300g (2 cups) potato starch
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Mix egg into mashed potato first, then add the flours and salt. Mix with a dough hook or by hand until dough forms. Roll out 1/3 dough at a time, using potato flour to dust your surface. Roll it to about 1/8" then cut into 3-inch circles.

I hope that helps! Sorry I can't just give you a recipe. This is one dish that I never make the same way twice.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The crustless quiche with quinoa and greens, a butternut lasagna -- many many choices! These 2 would look great, taste delicious, and freeze well.

can you share the recipe! I have Quinoa, Beet Greens and Butternut squash in the house!

Found this recipe!

There are 3 squash lasangas. I haven't made any yet but am planning to for a New Years Day brunch. I just sounds so appealing!

and yes, that's the quiche I had in mind. If you look at the comments, you'll see lots of fiddling suggestions.

I love the leek and mushroom gratin recipe originally in Gourmet, now at Epicurious. A bit time consuming to prep but you can make a day ahead. It is very luxurious and tells your veggie guests you were thinking of them.