tomato substitute

Any ideas for tomato sauce substitute, without tomatoes for someone allergic to tomatoes? I'm thinking roasted red peppers, carrots, and pesto combined in some form. Does anyone have a recipe?

andrea lee
andrea lee July 15, 2013

What if you used charred/roasted peppers and sautéed with lots of onions and carrots and add some vegetable stock?

Bevi
Bevi July 16, 2013

I char my roasted peppers right on the stove top. They should go well with your pesto idea.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich July 15, 2013

Is this for a particular recipe?

stagneskitchen
stagneskitchen July 16, 2013

Roasted eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers would also work nicely.

pierino July 16, 2013

I agree on the roasted red peppers although I don't think they harmonize well with pesto.

petitbleu
petitbleu July 16, 2013

You could do a roasted red pepper and butternut squash sauce.

anna karina
anna karina July 16, 2013

Hi! Butternut squash makes a good sauce for substituting tomatoes, I have used it for pizza, pasta... If you are not allergic to peppers those are a tasty option :) good luck!

lauren castro
lauren castro July 16, 2013

Rhubarb makes a fun and summery pasta sauce on its own or added to roasted bell peppers. Carbonara is always one of my favorite pasta toppings as well.

savorthis
savorthis July 16, 2013

I recently did a caramelized carrot sauce based off of Nathan Myhrvold's soup method: http://www.foodandwine.... I didn't add as much of the juice and folded in lots of fresh herbs. I also made it once with little spinach and cheese meatballs. The depth that you get from the butter and caramelization is incredible.

PazzoNico
PazzoNico July 16, 2013

I'd go for pumpkin puree or carrots with a splash of red wine vinegar or balsamic (to make up for the acidity you'd normally get with tomatoes). Roasted red peppers, while similar in color, are a very dominating flavor, in my opinion; they aren't very versatile unless you're going specifically for that flavor.

Also, often times, people with tomato allergies are only reactive to raw tomatoes; but once they are cooked, the allergen that causes the reaction is no longer there. Just a side note (that you might already know...?).

susan g July 16, 2013

Macrobiotic sources should have a tomato-style pasta sauce recipe. I have one in Whole World Cookbook (1984) made with carrots and a beet, but I've never tried it.

mzmecz
mzmecz July 21, 2013

The butternut squash puree is a good one, especially if you top each serving with sage leaves fried to crisp in butter with a dribble of the sage butter sauce over the top.