A question about a recipe: Dr. Zhivago Borscht

3db193fc 054a 46d9 9819 e5c7501e12ea  ss030210f478

I have a question about the ingredient "whole juniper berries (optional)" on the recipe "Dr. Zhivago Borscht" from Naked Beet. where can I find juniper berries?

asked by jill47 almost 7 years ago

The Spiced Life

Penzey's--I just had this dilemma. :)

Panfusine

Just spotted some at the Organic section at Wegman's Grocery store today. they retail for about 3.49 for about 1/4 cup.

Don't know what part of the country you are. Here in the NW Whole Foods and most national grocery chains carry them. You can borrow some from me - I have a jar in my pantry!

I get mine from a local Health Food store that sells bulk spices. In fact I buy all my spices there, cheep.
You have to bag and label them yourself for check out, but I can refill almost all my common spices for 8-9 bucks.
Including Juniper Berries.

This is an easy one. You can find juniper berries in jars in the spice aisle of just about every large grocery chain in the country. I use them all the time, most often lightly crushed.

Another thought...if you can't find them or need them in a pinch. A shot of gin makes a somewhat decent substitution depending on the dish.

They are a dried spice in bottles. Here in New York, they are as everyone has said, in the spice aisle. In NY, Fairway has them. I'm sure Whole Foods too.

NakedBeet

Yes, as everyone has mentioned, a grocery store with a great spice selection would have them (i.e. Whole Foods, Wegman's, a natural food store) and an Italian or European specialty market should carry them, too. Here's another online source for anyone else still looking: http://www.thespicehouse...