A question about a recipe: Dr. Zhivago Borscht

I have a question about the ingredient "grapeseed oil" on the recipe "Dr. Zhivago Borscht" from Naked Beet. I'm so excited to make this! Does anyone have thoughts about the possibility of using an oil other than grapeseed oil? Suggestions, cautions, successes? Next, summoning the courage and energy to make my own black bread. Thanks all! :)

3db193fc 054a 46d9 9819 e5c7501e12ea  ss030210f478
Recipe question for: Dr. Zhivago Borscht

hardlikearmour January 11, 2012

Canola would work. You just need a neutrally flavored oil with a highish smoke point.

giuliettanicoletta
giuliettanicoletta January 11, 2012

Great, thanks!!!

NakedBeet
NakedBeet February 28, 2012

Before I switched to grapeseed oil for all my cooking, I used to use canola and vegetable with no major flavor difference. There is so very little oil in here to begin with, the amount of beets in the recipe really covers up any flavor from the oil, even if you used olive oil! Hope it turns out well for you!

giuliettanicoletta
giuliettanicoletta February 28, 2012

Thank you, yes, it was absolutely delicious. I enjoyed many bowls of it, as did my other half, from mid-morning to midnight! I love it cold; he prefers to heat his up. In fact, my mom and I were just discussing your recipe this morning. She'll be making it for the first time today, with beets and carrots from her garden. You've brought something delightful to our whole family. Yay!