🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Dr. Zhivago Borscht

3db193fc 054a 46d9 9819 e5c7501e12ea  ss030210f478

I have a question about the ingredient "grapeseed oil" on the recipe "Dr. Zhivago Borscht" from Naked Beet. I'm so excited to make this! Does anyone have thoughts about the possibility of using an oil other than grapeseed oil? Suggestions, cautions, successes? Next, summoning the courage and energy to make my own black bread. Thanks all! :)

asked by giuliettanicoletta over 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Canola would work. You just need a neutrally flavored oil with a highish smoke point.

3c79be4b f772 4353 8a7b b41396a05b25  adrienne 2

Great, thanks!!!

A9a4b5a8 c8a5 45de bfda 445662f02fec  picture 2

Before I switched to grapeseed oil for all my cooking, I used to use canola and vegetable with no major flavor difference. There is so very little oil in here to begin with, the amount of beets in the recipe really covers up any flavor from the oil, even if you used olive oil! Hope it turns out well for you!

Thank you, yes, it was absolutely delicious. I enjoyed many bowls of it, as did my other half, from mid-morning to midnight! I love it cold; he prefers to heat his up. In fact, my mom and I were just discussing your recipe this morning. She'll be making it for the first time today, with beets and carrots from her garden. You've brought something delightful to our whole family. Yay!