Tweaking "Mrs. Flipsie's Cooked Salad Dressing"

Mrs. Flipsie was a lovely woman from Oostburg, Wisconsin and her boiled dressing recipe became a family staple years ago. I was wondering if I could use xanthan gum instead of a flour/water slurry to thicken it up. If so, how much? (Note -- it's lovely mixed with some mayo for a potato or chicken salad, or by itself for deviled eggs.)

The base recipe:

Mix: 6 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
3 Tbsp dry mustard
Salt
1 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp flour/water paste
3 Tbsp butter.
Bring to boil; simmer until thick.

asked by Melusine over 6 years ago

This site http://alicia-king.suite101...
says 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of flour. 3 tablespoons equals 3/16 of a cup of flour, so you need between 1/2 and 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum.

oops--that was a fatal typo! it's 1/8-1/4. Sorry!!!

That's a helpful web page, but I think xanthan gum is not what you need here. Just after the explanation of x.gum, is a list of flour substitutions. In this recipe you are not baking, not using flour as a baked good component. The flour in the cooked dressing is thickening, so on that web page, choose a substitute from the list of flours just below.
I checked The Joy of Cooking to compare. Three recipes are given for boiled dressing. One uses flour, one uses cornstarch, and the last one does not have any flour -- so I would try cornstarch, using the conversion from the chart on the web page that drbabs sent.