Last week's finds that tickled your fancy the most. Shop best-sellers »
🔕 🔔

Just got a recipe for a salad dressing from a local restaurant and it makes a HUGE batch! I am awful with conversions so could someone please help me scale the following recipe down? Thanks!

4 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cups apple cider
3 cups mustard
2.5 quarts oil

asked by Madame Sel about 6 years ago

When I try to scale up or down recipes, I look at the ratios. I read this as 1 part apple cider vinegar to 1 part apple cider to 3/4 part mustard. You could use almost anything then - tablespoons, etc. Then I would slowly stream in oil and then stop to taste when it looks like you're starting to get a consistency you like. I find that my ultimate usage of oil in a vinaigrette (which this looks like) depends on my mood. But if my 3rd grade math skills are correct the original recipe is 1qt. vinegar to 1 qt. apple cider to 3/4 qt. mustard to 2.5 qt. oil. So almost a 1:1 ratio of oil to the rest of it. Great thing about a vinaigrette is that you can tinker with it until it tastes right to you.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

As myzuk points out, it is approximately 1:1 of oil to the rest. More precisely, four cups in a quart, so 2.5 quarts is 10 cups of oil. Scale it down to 1/4 and you have 1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup cider, 3/4 c mustard, 2 1/2 cups oil.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I have to admit I'm skeptical about the quantity of mustard here, as its main function is as an emulsifying agent. That seems like a lot of mustard, even proportionally. Your typical vinaigrette is one part vinegar to three parts oil with just a tablespoon or so of mustard before you beat it to death.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

At that ratio the mustard is obvoiusly not thier to be an emulsifier in that quantity. It's obviously there as a flavoring agent. Nowhere does it say it's a vinagrette. It states it is a salad dressing. But bravo, you know how to make a vinagrette. Help not hinder the process here.

Ae98fa7a bef9 4fc6 8588 e3c99ceeb847  image

Thanks for all your help! This is actually a vinaigrette but the mustard is also a flavoring agent, hence Cider-Mustard Vinaigrette. I started with 1/4 cup mustard and kept adding until I got the right taste. 3/4 cup would be perfect but I was about 1/8 cup shy. I used 1:1 and it still made a TON of dressing, a mason jar full AND a bottle full. I'm going to have to scale it back again. Can you freeze dressing?

I would not freeze dressing, no need to, but this dressing really sounds weird. Are you sure that they really wanted to give you the recipe?