🔕 🔔

Can I substitute cake flour for bread flour in a Dutch Baby recipe?

asked by eat right almost 7 years ago

I would think so! I can't understand why the Dutch Baby recipe calls for bread flour in the first place, though. I'd substitute as one would for all-purpose: use 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of cake flour for each 1 cup of bread flour called for in the recipe. Let us know, please, how it turns out! ;o)

In a word, no. It sounds like the recipe you are using is relying on the high protein for structure; cake flour is low protein, so I don't think it'll be successful.

Reporting back ... I did substitute cake flour for the bread flour. Added the extra 2 tablespoons of flour and it turned out lovely. Actually better than the Williams-Sonoma Dutch Baby recipe I had used many, many times before. The pancake had amazing volume upon first coming out of the oven.

Oh, I'm so glad. I do, incidentally, agree with spiffypaws that for many recipes that call for bread flour or AP flour or cake flour, the flour that's used really does matter. I simply could not imagine that for a puffy pancake it would make any difference. Glad it didn't! ;o)