Why is my pie always soupy?

Every time I bake a pie with a double crust it always comes out super watery on the inside, almost like soup, but the crust is always done. How do I get the thick consistency I am looking for?

Merrill Stubbs December 25, 2011

Usually adding just a bit of cornstarch to the filling will do the trick -- what kind of pie are you making?

Carebearcp
Carebearcp December 26, 2011

thank you! well i've made many but they are mostly fruit pies. the last one was apple cranberry. i live at high elevation; do you think that would have anything to do with it?

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner December 26, 2011

I like to use tapioca rather than cornstarch. Directions are on the box. Amounts depend on the type of fruit you are suing. Are you venting the pie?

Merrill Stubbs December 26, 2011

Yes, much better idea to use tapioca!

vrunka
vrunka December 27, 2011

I also like to use tapioca to thicken fruit pies -- usually about 2 tablespoons per pie does the trick, maybe a tablespoon more for watery fruits. Instant tapioca works best.

Also make sure you cut some good-sized vents in the top crust to let the steam escape!

vvvanessa
vvvanessa December 27, 2011

one helpful thing with apple pies i've found is to season the apple slices and then let them sit for a few hours to let some of the liquid release before putting the fruit in the crust. i also like tapioca, but i use tapioca starch.

Carebearcp
Carebearcp December 27, 2011

thanks for the help!