🔕 🔔

I made the salt encrusted whole fish from the CB and it was incredibly salty. Followed recipe exactly.

6 lb snapper cleaned by fishmonger.

asked by belfman almost 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

What is your question?

Why did it come out so salty? I thought it wasn't supposed to be salty.

Did you scrape the salt off of the skin before serving? I haven't read through the recipe but the method of cooking fish in salt accomplishes two things; it adds flavor, but it also insulates the fish while it roasts/bakes. Residual salt on fish skin will indeed taste salty.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Two points ... Did you use coarse salt ? Table salt will not do it. And, was the fish totally encrusted ? Otherwise the fish will steam and suck in the salt. Did you have the right temperature? I have done both fish and chicken in salt and it works great - no salt taste at all. Do not worry, double check how you did it and try again.