Made a salt baked snapper last night (J Waxman's recipe from Saveur). Fish was moist but too *salty*! What went wrong?

asked by lbcashmanRD about 7 years ago

I wonder if the skin of the fish was wet as you where forming the mound?

usuba dashi

Was the salt too fine? . . . need very course salt

@usuba dashi.
I have that problem too with recipes that simply call for Kosher Salt like brines. The Diamond and Morton brand have a different weight and texture. I'm not sure, but I think the default is the Diamond brand. I seem to remember the crystals on diamond brand were larger.

Yes, Diamond is more coarse. My favorite.

usuba dashi

I only use course sea salt and only sea salt from Celtic Salt company in Ashville, NC, They have the real sel de gris. . . . . very coarse. Fish should only be seasoned with sea salt, not Kosher. Save Kosher for land animals.

Diamond's salt is proper evaporated flat crystals . . Morton uses a roller to make their flat salt. . . . is not the same. David's is even better.

I have good luck finding French Gris in the bulk bins at my local natural food store.

lbcashmanRD

possible that skin of fish was wet and used mortons (gasp!). Also wonder if my salt mixture was too "wet" (eg: not enough salt for egg whites)....Seems like sle de gris would change the investment of this dramatically. In NYC a whole fish aint cheap plus premium salt?

lbcashmanRD

thanks ya'll for the great thoughts!!