Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

salt cod - how to cook and store?

I bought some salt cod at the store the other day. It's packed in a vacuum pack, smothered with salt. Very dehydrated and firm. In the shop it was at room temp, so am I right in thinking I can just keep it in the cupboard? This is a pre-refrigerator way of preserving fish, or do they do things differently nowadays?

How shall I cook this? I understand I need to soak it in several changes of clear water to get out the salt before I do anything with it. But what if I only want to use a small amount at a time? Can I just cut off one person portion and then re-wrap up the rest of the salted cod?

I saw a recipe for fish cakes on the food52 site that looks yummy, but it won't use up the whole packet and I don't love fish cakes enough to double the recipe.

Considering it use to be one of the most common protein sources in Europe during the Middle ages, I was hoping to find some more recipes. Even my Medieval cook books don't seem to have any.

Anyone out there ever cooked with salt cod before? How did you find it? What kind of recipe did you make?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 3 years ago

Even after the two days of soaking, you're always going to cook the fish before you put it with anything. Or some long cooking in a sauce.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

June has it absolutely right, overnight plus blanching won't do it, even if you love salt.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I can't thank you enough for the advice. It's so much more helpful to have people who have worked with the ingredients.

Sometimes I worry about cookbooks. Either they haven't tested the recipes, or maybe they are working with some other definition of the ingredient. I can never tell which.

Any other recipe ideas for salt cod? I've got a lot of it here, and if it's yummy, hope to get more. Good price for fish.

Simple creamed cod over potatoes was a standard in my mother's Swedish immigrant household during the Depression. One of those childhood comfort foods.

Before starting the soaking, my mother's grandmother would pinch a salty bit of the dried cod off for each of the children. They'd take them outside on the back porch and savor.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Just saw this recipe on my Facebook feed for chips made with salt cod: http://www.saveur.com/article...

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

try searching for baccalà to find the bounty of italian recipes using it – from the venetian classic baccalà mantecato (a kind of mousse to be put on crostini) to alla livornese (stewed in tomato sauce, and i second the suggestion of macella hazan’s version, sometimes sprinkled with gremolata and seved with creamy polenta).

… not to forget the lovely roman fried polpette di baccalà!