Mushrooms?

I am under the impression that crimini mushrooms are baby portobello mushrooms. If this is true, do they taste the same or do they have a different taste?

asked by skittle over 6 years ago

Lambs' Ears and Honey

I believe they are the same mushroom, just picked a little earlier than the Portobello's and a little later than the button mushrooms. So I guess the flavour is going to fall somewhere between the two, also!

They're the same mushroom. Just a smaller less mature version. The larger ones have a more earthy taste with larger gills.

bugbitten

I get a little mixed up in the mushroom department. It's something I'm working on. My favorite market packages "baby bellas", which are, anybody would assume, baby portabellas. They are about the size of button mushrooms, only darker, and with a better flavor, IMO. Don't understand why I see them called both potobellas and portobellas as the Italians are usually quite definitive about sex.

Like skittle, I could use enlightenment.

bugbitten

Yikes, kindly read "portobellas and portobellos".

skittle

I appreciate the input from all!