The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

What is the best way to cook frozen lobster tails?

asked by Gavi over 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I take kitchen shears and go in above the tail meat and split them open on the top. Cutting through the shell.
Then I use a basting sauce of soy, ginger, butter or oil and lemon juice and broil them flesh side down for a few mins..and flip them and finish broiling with most basting sauce. (grilling is better tho).
I'll also put a large skewer at the bottom of the shell. The structure keeps them from curling up so they stay straight for presentation.

For dipping sauce either a clarified butter..or a Asain dipping sauce with ginger, garlic, soysauce, oil. and a touch of sake or mirin and lemon juice. Basicaly the same as basting sauce.

Alternatively, a simple way to just to steam them (tho I do split the shells for tiny tails) and use the skewer to keep them from curling. When steaming I add a tsp of Vanilla to water. It gives a nice back note to the lobster.
Clarified butter is a must IMHO for lobster. Easy to make at home.

BTW: these all thawed before you start the process. I keep them packaging if they're vac packed and thaw..and place under cool running water. Then give them a quick soak in salted water with lemon juice (about 10-15 mins) to plump up and absorb some salt. The proceed with any of the above.
The skewer trick is very good to use for frozen lobster tails; because when cooking they do have a tendency to curl up.

I wish we still had the edit button..believe it or not, English is indeed my first language.