🔕 🔔

I found a recipe for Tom Colicchio's dinner rolls that uses 1 tsp of barley malt syrup instead of sugar. Since I am having some trouble finding this at the market, I am wondering how much of a difference this ingredient makes in the flavor of the final product. Does anyone out there have experience with this recipe or ingredient in baking dinner rolls? Thanks, Christine

asked by Lehnhoca over 7 years ago

Mr_Vittles

Malt syrup will lend a deep toasty flavor that is the hallmark of good rolls. If you don't have it it won't be a dealbreaker. If you live by a Korean Market it is often sold as Mul Yoot. You could try to substitute malt syrup with a little light molasses.

nutcakes

Be sure to read the comments under that recipe online. A foodpickler reported that there seems to be some error in the recipe and someone in the comments figured out what to do.