🔕 🔔

I found a recipe for Tom Colicchio's dinner rolls that uses 1 tsp of barley malt syrup instead of sugar. Since I am having some trouble finding this at the market, I am wondering how much of a difference this ingredient makes in the flavor of the final product. Does anyone out there have experience with this recipe or ingredient in baking dinner rolls? Thanks, Christine

asked by Lehnhoca almost 7 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Malt syrup will lend a deep toasty flavor that is the hallmark of good rolls. If you don't have it it won't be a dealbreaker. If you live by a Korean Market it is often sold as Mul Yoot. You could try to substitute malt syrup with a little light molasses.

Be sure to read the comments under that recipe online. A foodpickler reported that there seems to be some error in the recipe and someone in the comments figured out what to do.