🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sausage Gravy

D9b6af3d 95ce 494a b8fc 3bde618533af  once upon photo 10b

I have a question about the recipe "Sausage Gravy" from Anthony Chiffolo.
Do you suppose I could use buttermilk in place of the milk in this recipe? I have heard of using buttermilk in gravy but I don't know anything about it.

asked by micheleonelonly almost 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Yes, I believe you can, although 2 1/2 cups seems like a lot. I might start with 1 1/2 cups and add more as needed.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Also remember buttermilk is tangy - you'll want to taste as you add and make sure the flavor is going where you want it too ... if it's getting too tangy you could go back to a bit of regular milk

4118200c 4759 499c 9b16 81c9f602e9d1  r a on 10 24 09b

Using buttermilk would probably be fine. The gravy will be much richer, so it depends on your taste--that is, how rich you like your gravy.