🔕 🔔

My Bechamel sauce didn't thicken. Can I add more flour to the sauce?

asked by kittykarma almost 6 years ago

A34f51f3 34e5 4723 acab 9b7ab83a7758  dmglvsm2

Create a cold roux and whisk small amounts into your hot bechamel - bring to a boil and repeat until desired thickness is reached. A cold roux, A.K.A. "beurre manié" is equal parts butter and flour, kneaded until it resembles a dough (the name means "kneaded butter" in French)

Yes, this is one of the classic sauce savers. Butter is your friend. The other mistake people make (like my sister) is to pour cold milk into the roux all at once and then what you get is a lumpy glue. But the ratio of butter, flour and milk has to be correct from the start .

Dawnviola, thank you! Your advice saved my runny Bechamel from certain death. Worked perfectly!