🔕 🔔

My Bechamel sauce didn't thicken. Can I add more flour to the sauce?

asked by kittykarma about 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I'd start a new béchamel, cooking the butter and flour, and instead of adding milk, I'd whisk in the first béchamel you made.

A34f51f3 34e5 4723 acab 9b7ab83a7758  dmglvsm2

Create a cold roux and whisk small amounts into your hot bechamel - bring to a boil and repeat until desired thickness is reached. A cold roux, A.K.A. "beurre manié" is equal parts butter and flour, kneaded until it resembles a dough (the name means "kneaded butter" in French)

Yes, this is one of the classic sauce savers. Butter is your friend. The other mistake people make (like my sister) is to pour cold milk into the roux all at once and then what you get is a lumpy glue. But the ratio of butter, flour and milk has to be correct from the start .

Dawnviola, thank you! Your advice saved my runny Bechamel from certain death. Worked perfectly!

Fc547980 c276 4416 b67e d4fe9fecccac  open uri20150213 16620 yhcd0c

Saved the lasagna tonight! Thank you.