🔕 🔔

Can I make Bechamel w self rising flour? That's all I have in the cabinet!

asked by Wellington Wizard about 5 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I wouldn't use self rise flour, it has baking powder in it. That said I have never tried it so don't know how it will work. Do you have cornstarch? Maybe you could use that.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you use the self rising flour, it might fizz up from the leavener, but that should cook off. It might introduce an off taste, though, and both baking powder and salt added to the flour would increase the sodium, so you'd have to be cautious not to over salt.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Your milk will most likely curdle as well. Self raising flour really isn't appropriate for bechamel.