🔕 🔔

Peter Reinhart bread recipes

When I make the recipe "Oat Bran Broom Bread" from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Baking book, the bread always has a" spongy" crumb. It tastes fine, rises well, passes the window pane test, but when I slice it, it looks different than my other 100% whole wheat breads. Is is because it is not enriched with dairy or is it the delayed fermentation method?

asked by Stephanie G over 5 years ago

Both, Stephanie. The delayed fermentation method tends to retain moisture, and the whole grains contribute to this effect. Dairy of any sort tends to tighten down the crumb while tenderizing it at the same time. Tender and spongy are quite different.