Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Cooking time for creme brulee in one large dish???

Any thoughts on adjusting the cooking time for creme brulee if I make it in one large dish as opposed to individual ramekins? I use the recipe from the Gourmet cookbook. Serving it in addition to birthday cake so and I want to make sure everyone who wants it gets some. Thanks!!!!

asked by lumberqueen about 5 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I don't have that recipe but should work fine, and should take just 5 to 10 min longer (as long as the custard isn't too deep -- depends on size of dish).

It does work well. As Amanda says, plan for it to take a good 10 minutes longer, and I'd suggest a good ceramic baking dish. Be sure to bake it in a water bath, as you would the conventional one (sorry, I don't have the recipe either). It's done when you can bump the edge of the dish and the custard "jiggles like jello, but doesn't wiggle like a wave."

Great! Thank you both. I do plan on using a shallow ceramic dish and the water bath like I normally would. I just needed some opinions on the baking time for confidence!!! I am short on time this weekend so I don't want to risk needing a do-over.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.