Recipe calls for oats-which kind do they mean?

When a recipe calls for oats, am I correct that they do NOT mean quick cooking oats? (unless they specify) (like in a cookie)

asked by skittle almost 7 years ago

Usually, if it's not specified it means rolled oats (not quick cooking). What is the recipe?

Honeybee

You can usually use quick cooking if not specified - but NOT instant, which is different

skittle

It's for an oatmeal raisin cookie.
So no quick cooking then correct? Use rolled oats?

Nina Lombardo

Use rolled oats, not quick cooking. Quick cooking oats are just rolled oats cut into smaller pieces therefore they cook quicker. For a nuttier tasting cookie, you can lightly toast the oats before adding to the receipe. Toast on medium heat in a stove top pan, stirring often until they turn a slight golden brown. Works great for morning oatmeal too.